Simple is usually best. This recipe is not fancy, but the most effective one we have created over the many years. Roasted turkey or chicken, ground, bones and all, to a fine ground meal, however, can be a great alternative for ground beef or pork to bring variety and additional calcium and minerals.
Ingredients per 14 liter Pot
Ingredients per 14L Pot or Roaster
- 3+ lbs ground Beef or pork – – browned and drained OR Roasted and drained turkey, chicken, or rabbit ground, bones and all, to a fine ground meal if you have a heavy duty grinder, or deboned if not.
- 5 lbs of red potatoes – shredded or diced
- 7 cups of Large Flake Oats/Oatmeal (SLOW cook NOT quick cook).
- 4 tsp Salt
- 1 lbs of cored and shredded or diced apples OR 2 cups of shredded or ground winter squash (with skin, seeds and pulp). Optional and added only if other vegetable treats are not being given in excess of 10% of their diet. Remember the 10% rule (see below).
Fill pot to 10L and add all ingredients EXCEPT for Large Flake Oatmeal.
Place stove element on Medium.
Bring to Boil. Simmer for 30 minutes stirring frequently.
Add Large Flake Oatmeal and fill water to 12L.
Bring to boil.
Simmer for 20 minutes while stirring frequently.
Turn off heat. Stir every 15 minutes for the next hour.
Cool and refrigerate.
Can be portioned and frozen.
Mix all ingredients in the roaster and bake at 350°F – 177°C for 3 hours, stirring every hour.
1 cup of food, 3 times a day, or 1.5 cups, 2 times a day, for a medium energy 50 lb dog
The quantities can be adjusted as each dog is unique and has unique requirements.
- All stirring should be done very well deep down to the bottom of the pot so food does not.
- Vegetables must be kept below 10%. Even the best vegetables and fruit will make them ill if the daily total exceeds the 10%.
- Treats of carrots, blueberries, cucumber can also be added as substitutes or in small amounts remembering the 10% rule.
When serving cooked dog food to your dog(s) add a 1/6 teaspoon of cooked powdered eggshells per cup of food if ground bones are not included in the meat portion.
Bone meal can be substituted for the eggshells.
Lightly rinse eggshells and bake at 350 degrees for 10- 15 minutes then powder in a coffee grinder.